May is Bike Month in Springfield
Springfield and Eugene first organized the effort to support May as National Bike Month back in 2014. This year, Springfield and area partners are celebrating “May is Bike Month” with month-long offerings of activities related to bicycling, such as rides, speakers, workshops, and more. Events are being hosted May through June 5th by city of Springfield, city of Eugene, the University of Oregon Bike Program, Eugene-Springfield Safe Routes to School, Point2Point at LTD, Willamalane, other partner organizations, and several area businesses. All activities are listed on the website: WeBikeLane.org. Communities that organize their own activities related to National Bike Month are available to post in their website in the community bike calendar as well.
National Bike month was established in 1956 and is a great opportunity to highlight the many benefits of bicycling. This includes but is not limited to:
– Being a healthy transportation option,
– Enjoying the outdoors,
– Promoting tourism,
– Saving money or time,
– Preserving the environment,
– Exploring your community!
Here are some activity highlights in the city of Springfield according to City of Springfield’s website:
Springfield Activity Highlights
- SUNDAY, MAY 12TH: CycloFemme bike ride is an international bike ride that celebrates women on wheels. This year’s ride will take place on Mother’s Day, Sunday, May 12. The Springfield ride starts at Willamalane Park Swim Center on G St and the Eugene ride starts at Owen Rose Garden. Both rides will gather at 1:30 p.m., ride at 2 p.m., and end at Island Park for a group celebration. Event is free.
- FRIDAY, MAY 17TH: The City in partnership with Point2Point at Lane Transit District, will host Wheels by the Willamette from 4 to 6 p.m. on Friday, May 17 on the Northbank Path at Aspen Street and West D Street in Springfield. The event will feature free bicycle safety checks offered by Ding Ding Cycles. Additionally, free bike and pedestrian materials, such as maps, will be offered to attendees to learn more about walking and biking in Springfield. Light snacks and refreshments will be provided.
- MONDAY, JUNE 3RD: The City will also host a Bike Friendly Business Movie Night from 6:30 to 8 p.m. onMonday, June 3 at Springfield City Hall. Area restaurants, hotels, bike shops, and other retailers are encouraged to attend the event to learn more about the benefits of bike tourism, how to be a bike friendly business, and for assistance submitting a free application to Travel Oregon for recognition. Food and refreshments will be provided. To learn more and to RSVP, go to: http://bfbmovienight.eventbrite.com.
Also be sure to sign up your business for this year’s Business Commute Challenge!
Join a friendly competition-workplace against workplace-to see who can walk, bike, bus, carpool or telework the most during the week of May 11-17. The workplace with the most participation wins (based on size). It’s good for the community, improves our public and personal health, and builds teamwork within your company. And it’s really fun!
The more you participate, the better your chance of winning a cool prize. Register your team at CommuteChallenge.org